Friday, April 8, 2011

Blubonnets have arrived!

Driving around today, I saw my first Texas bluebonnets. I have to say, I was quite excited as I have heard many speak of the arrival of the bluebonnets, the State Flower of Texas. (photo from Ennis Convention and Visitors Bureau)

I have found out that there is a Bluebonnet Hotline (1-800-452-9292), a Bluebonnet Cam at www.wildflower.org, in addition to trails and festivals. There is even Bluebonnet Etiquette: Don’t trample or pick the flowers because it will ruin the flowers for others and it will reduce the number of seeds the flower produces for next year.

In my searching, I discovered that Ennis is the "Official Bluebonnet City of Texas" and that the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) spreads 30,000 pounds of wildflower seed per year. Interesting little tidbits for your next game of Trivial Pursuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment